Lesson Plan: Sum of a Finite Geometric Sequence Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to calculate the sum of the terms in a geometric sequence with a finite number of terms.
Students will be able to
- recall the formula for the sum of a finite geometric sequence,
- calculate the sum of a specified number of terms in a geometric sequence when given
- the first three (or more) terms of the sequence and the total number of terms,
- the first three (or more) terms of the sequence and the last term,
- any numbered term and the common ratio,
- any numbered term and the sum of two or more numbered terms,
- calculate the number of terms in a geometric sequence when given its sum and any sufficient information,
- find a geometric sequence when given
- the sum of and the number of terms,
- the sum of two groups of numbered terms,
- the sum of more than two terms and the common ratio,
- the sum and the first and last terms.
Students should already be familiar with
- properties of geometric sequences.
Students will not cover
- nongeometric sequences,
- the sum of an infinite sequence.