Lesson Plan: Mental Multiplication Mathematics • 4th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use different strategies to mentally multiply by one-digit numbers.
Students will be able to
- multiply a two-digit number by a one-digit number using compensation,
- multiply a two-digit number by a one-digit number by breaking apart the numbers,
- use known facts to mentally multiply a two-digit number by a one-digit number,
- choose an appropriate strategy to multiply numbers mentally.
Students should already be familiar with
- multiplication facts up to ,
- multiplying multiples of 10 by one-digit numbers.
Students will not cover
- the column method of multiplication.