Lesson Plan: One-step Equations: Addition and Subtraction Mathematics • 6th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to write and solve one-step addition and subtraction equations in ℕ and ℤ.
Students will be able to
- deduce the additive property of equality, which states that if the same amount is added to each side of an equation, the equality is still true,
- deduce the subtraction property of equality, which states that if the same amount is subtracted from each side of an equation, the equality is still true,
- know that solving a one-step equation means finding the unknown value to make the statement true.
Students should already be familiar with
- the properties of operations in and ,
- the terms variable and constant.
Students will not cover
- equations with more than one solution,
- equations with more than one unknown,
- solving equations of the second or third degree.