Lesson Plan: Identifying Functions Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to identify a function from a relation shown by a set of ordered pairs, a relation diagram, an equation, or a graph.
Students will be able to
- define what is meant by a function,
- identify whether a set of ordered pairs defines a function,
- identify functions from relation diagrams,
- understand how to use the vertical line test to determine whether a relation’s graph represents a function,
- understand the conditions for which an equation can be represented in function notation, .
Students should already be familiar with
- relations and equations,
- graphs of equations,
Students will not cover
- identifying domains and ranges of functions.