Lesson Plan: Discriminants of Quadratics Mathematics • 9th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to find the discriminant of a quadratic equation and use it to determine the number and type of its roots (solution) without solving it.
Students will be able to
- recall the equation for the discriminant of a quadratic equation,
- use the discriminant to identify the number of real roots a quadratic equation has,
- use the discriminant to determine whether a quadratic equation has rational roots,
- use the discriminant to evaluate unknowns that satisfy certain conditions related to the types of roots.
Students should already be familiar with
- solving quadratic equations using the quadratic formula.
Students will not cover
- solving quadratic equations with complex roots.