Lesson Plan: Dividing Shapes into Equal Parts Mathematics • 2nd Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to divide rectangles and circles into equal parts in multiple ways and recognize that equal parts do not need to be the same shape.
Students will be able to
- partition rectangles or circles into two, three, or four equal parts using horizontal, vertical, or diagonal lines,
- recognize that each fractional part of a rectangle or circle is a fraction of the whole,
- recognize that equal parts do not need to be the same shape.
Students should already be familiar with
- how to read and write fractions in word form,
- basic concepts of halves, thirds, and fourths.
Students will not cover
- fractions written as numerals,
- denominators greater than 4,
- shapes other than circles and rectangles.