Lesson Plan: Salts Chemistry
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to determine and interpret the names of simple salts and describe the preparation of soluble and insoluble salts.
Students will be able to
- deduce the constituent ions and elements of a salt from its name,
- identify salts from lists of named compounds,
- write word and symbolic equations for precipitation reactions,
- determine whether a solution of a salt is acidic and basic,
- describe and explain the preparation of an insoluble salt (precipitate),
- describe and explain the preparation of a salt from an acid and an insoluble reactant,
- describe and explain the preparation of a salt from an acid and a soluble reactant.
Students should already be familiar with
- naming conventions for anions and cations,
- chemical formulas.
Students will not cover
- naming or deducing the structure of metal coordination complexes,