Lesson Plan: One-Sided Limits Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to evaluate one-sided limits graphically and algebraically.
Students will be able to
- understand the concept of one-sided limits,
- understand the relationship between the one-sided limits and the normal limit,
- evaluate one-sided limits from tables or graphs,
- evaluate one-sided limits algebraically using factorizations and simplifications,
- find one-sided limits of piecewise-defined functions.
Students should already be familiar with
- normal limits,
- all types of discontinuities (although not necessarily the classifications or rigorous definitions).
Students will not cover
- the epsilon–delta definition of a limit,
- the definition of continuity,
- the definition of differentiability.