Lesson Plan: The Equals Sign Mathematics • 1st Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use the equals sign and identify and make true equations.
Students will be able to
- recognize that the equals sign means that both sides of an equation are the same,
- identify whether an equation is true,
- identify addition and subtraction equations that are equal to the same amount,
- find a missing number or symbol to make an equation true.
Students should already be familiar with
- addition strategies within 20, for example, making 10, doubles, and near doubles,
- subtraction strategies within 20, for example, counting on and counting back,
- reading and writing numbers up to 20.
Students will not cover
- comparing number sentences.