Lesson Plan: Word Problems: Taking From Mathematics • Kindergarten
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to solve word problems by removing one or more objects from a group containing up to 10 objects.
Students will be able to
- use images to solve “taking from” word problems,
- use objects to model how to take from a starting number in order to solve a problem,
- express problems as subtraction equations and then solve these equations.
Students should already be familiar with
- taking away from numbers up to 10,
- the subtraction symbol and equations.
Students will not cover
- solving subtraction problems based on breaking an amount apart,
- solving equations with missing minuends or subtrahends.