Lesson Plan: Genetic and Chromosomal Mutations Biology
This lesson plan includes the objectives and prerequisites of the lesson teaching students how to define what a mutation is, recognise various types of mutations, and state some potential impacts of mutations.
Students will be able to
- define mutation as a change in the DNA base sequence,
- state the potential effects of mutations on proteins produced as being beneficial, neutral, or harmful,
- recognize substitution, insertion, and deletion gene mutations,
- recognize duplication, inversion, and deletion chromosomal mutations,
- distinguish between spontaneous mutations and induced mutations.
Students should already be familiar with
- the basic structure of DNA,
- DNA as a genetic molecule.