Lesson Plan: Estimating Capacity of Boxes Mathematics • 5th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to estimate the volume of a 3D shape by counting the number of cubes that can fit inside it.
Students will be able to
- understand that the volume is the amount of space a 3D shape takes,
- estimate the volume of a 3D shape using cubes,
- choose the most accurate estimation for the volumes of given shapes.
Students should already be familiar with
- multiplying two digits by one digit,
- 3D shapes.
Students will not cover
- the volume of a rectangular prism.