Lesson Plan: Areas of Sectors and Segments Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to find the areas of circular sectors and segments when the angles are given in radians.
Students will be able to
- recall the formulas for finding the areas of circular sectors and segments when the given angle is in radians,
- find the areas of circular sectors and segments using the formula when the given angle is in radians,
- find the radius or central angle of a circular sector given its area,
- find the area of a segment given the radius and chord length,
- find the arc length or perimeter of a circular sector or segment given its area and vice versa,
- solve real-world problems involving the area of circular sectors and segments.
Students should already be familiar with
- finding the area of a circle,
- finding the arc length of a sector given its angle in radians,
- arcs and chords of circles,
- right triangle trigonometry,
- the sine and cosine rules.
Students will not cover
- areas of sectors and segments when given the angle in degrees.