Lesson Plan: Column Addition of Two-Digit Numbers Mathematics • 2nd Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to add two two-digit numbers with and without regrouping and record the calculation in columns using the standard algorithm.
Students will be able to
- add two two-digit numbers using column addition where no regrouping is required,
- make connections between concrete and abstract models of regrouping,
- identify whether regrouping will be required in an addition,
- add two two-digit numbers using column addition where regrouping of ones is required.
Students should already be familiar with
- partitioning two-digit numbers into tens and ones,
- adding ones to two-digit numbers with regrouping,
- adding two two-digit numbers with regrouping using models.
Students will not cover
- totals greater than 99,
- adding three or more two-digit numbers.