Lesson Plan: Environmental Effects on Gene Expression Biology
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to describe the effect of light intensity on the production and expression of chlorophyll genes.
Students will be able to
- recall that a gene is a section of DNA that codes for a protein or another functional unit,
- recall the role of chloroplasts in a plant,
- outline the effect of light intensity on the synthesis and expression of chlorophyll,
- describe a simple experiment to show how light intensity affects chlorophyll synthesis and expression.
Students should already be familiar with
- the fact that plants photosynthesize to make their own food.
Students will not cover
- details of gene expression (transcription/translation),