Lesson Plan: Simplifying Exponential Expressions with Rational Exponents Mathematics • 9th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to perform operations and simplifications with expressions that involve rational exponents.
Students will be able to
- evaluate numerical, and simplify algebraic, expressions raised to rational powers whose numerator is positive or negative 1,
- evaluate numerical, and simplify algebraic, expressions raised to rational powers whose numerator is greater than 1 or less than ,
- simplify multiterm expressions containing rational exponents,
- simplify expressions in which the exponent is an expression formed of rational numbers and variables.
Students should already be familiar with
- laws of exponents for integer powers,
Students will not cover
- equations or functions involving exponential expressions.