Lesson Plan: Dividing Decimals by One-Digit Numbers Mathematics • 5th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to divide a decimal by a one-digit number using knowledge of place value and related facts.
Students will be able to
- use knowledge of multiplication and division facts to find related facts to solve division problems when the dividend is a decimal,
- use knowledge of place value to find the quotient and predict the number of decimal places when dividing a decimal,
- divide a decimal with up to two decimal places by a one-digit number,
- use multiplication to check that the quotient is correct.
Students should already be familiar with
- multiplication facts up to and related division facts.
Students will not cover
- dividing decimals with more than two decimal places,
- quotients with more than two decimal places.