Lesson Plan: Combining the Product, Quotient, and Chain Rules Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to find the first derivative of a function using combinations of the product, quotient, and chain rules.
Students will be able to
- find the derivative of a function that requires a combination of product, quotient, and chain rules,
- understand how to apply a combination of the product, quotient, and chain rules in the correct order depending on the composition of a given function.
Students should already be familiar with
- the power rule of differentiation,
- the product rule of differentiation,
- the quotient rule of differentiation,
- the chain rule of differentiation.
Students will not cover
- implicit differentiation.