Lesson Plan: Doubles Plus One Mathematics • 1st Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to apply the strategy of adding doubles by solving problems involving doubles plus one.
Students will be able to
- recognize situations in which doubles plus one is a reasonable strategy for solving addition problems,
- use models to solve addition problems by using the doubles-plus-one strategy,
- solve addition problems by using the doubles-plus-one strategy without using models.
Students should already be familiar with
- doubles facts through ,
- basic concepts of addition,
- reading addition sentences written both vertically and horizontally.
Students will not cover
- doubles-plus-one expressions with a sum greater than 19,
- the use of number lines to model addition problems,
- the doubles-minus-one strategy.