Lesson Plan: Identifying Shapes with Symmetry Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to decide whether a shape has a vertical line of symmetry.
Students will be able to
- define and identify lines of symmetry,
- draw a vertical line of symmetry on a 2D shape or object,
- complete a shape so that it is symmetrical,
- recognize that a shape may have more than one line of symmetry.
Students should already be familiar with
- recognizing and naming 2D shapes.
Students will not cover
- nonvertical lines of symmetry.