Lesson Plan: Surface Areas of Rectangular Prism and Cubes Mathematics • 6th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to calculate the lateral and total surface areas of rectangular prisms and cubes and solve real-world problems.
Students will be able to
- define the lateral and total surface areas,
- calculate the lateral surface area using the sum of 4 faces,
- calculate the surface area using the sum of the area of the faces and the two bases,
- calculate the lateral surface area using the perimeter of ,
- solve problems involving surface area.
Students should already be familiar with
- finding the perimeters of squares and rectangles,
- finding the areas of squares and rectangles.
Students will not cover
- the surface areas of shapes other than rectangular prisms and cubes.