Lesson Plan: Converting Mass: Ounces, Pounds, and Tons Mathematics • 4th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to convert between whole numbers of ounces, pounds, and tons.
Students will be able to
- use the fact that there are 16 ounces in 1 pound to convert between ounces and pounds,
- use the fact that there are 2,000 pounds in a ton to convert between pounds and tons,
- recognize whether multiplication or division is needed to convert between units,
- compare measurements in ounces, pounds, tons, and mixed measures,
- solve simple word problems involving a conversion of units.
Students should already be familiar with
- measuring mass in ounces, pounds, or tons,
- multiplying up to 4 digits by 1 digit,
- multiplying 2 digits by 2 digits,
- dividing 4 digits by 1 digit.
Students will not cover
- converting numbers other than whole numbers.