Lesson Plan: Estimating Decimal Quotients Mathematics • 5th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use rounding and compatible numbers to estimate the result of dividing a decimal by a whole number or a decimal.
Students will be able to
- estimate a quotient by replacing the decimal dividend and divisor with compatible numbers,
- estimate the quotient by rounding a decimal dividend and divisor to the nearest whole numbers.
Students should already be familiar with
- how the digits change when a whole number is multiplied by 10 or 100,
- using compatible numbers to make division expressions easier.
Students will not cover
- dividing numbers with more than two decimal places.