Lesson Plan: Rewriting Expressions Using the Distributive Property Mathematics • 7th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to rewrite algebraic expressions using the distributive property.
Students will be able to
- rewrite a given algebraic expression using the distributive property of multiplication over addition,
- rewrite a given algebraic expression using the distributive property of multiplication over subtraction,
- rewrite a given algebraic expression featuring negative numbers using the distributive property,
- rewrite a given algebraic expression using the distributive property and simplify the resultant expression by combining like terms,
- solve more complex problems, such as solving a geometric or word problem using the distributive property.
Students should already be familiar with
- algebraic conventions,
- writing algebraic expressions,
- combining like terms in polynomial expressions of degree 1,
- using the four basic operations with positive and negative numbers,
- squaring numbers.
Students will not cover
- the product rule for exponents.