Lesson Plan: Taking Apart Mathematics • Kindergarten
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to count to find how many objects are in one part when we break apart a group of up to 10 objects into two parts.
Students will be able to
- subtract in situations of taking apart or breaking apart,
- break apart a group to subtract,
- use concrete and pictorial models to represent subtraction,
- complete sentences like “when I take apart 5, I get 3 and 2.”
Students should already be familiar with
- counting up to 10.
Students will not cover
- using the subtraction or equals symbol,
- writing equations.