Lesson Plan: Reducing the Negative Impacts of Natural Hazards Science • 4th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to describe ways humans can predict natural hazards and reduce their negative impact.
Students will be able to
- explain how scientists try to predict when natural hazards will occur,
- describe some short-term and long-term solutions that reduce the negative impacts of natural hazards including shear walls, dampers, and bracings,
- test and evaluate design solutions to reduce the impacts of natural hazards.
Students should already be familiar with
- the causes and impacts of tectonic hazards including earthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanoes,
- the causes and impacts of weather-related hazards including floods, hurricanes, and droughts.
Students will not cover
- climate change or global warming.