Lesson Plan: Characteristics of Matter Science
This lesson plan includes the objectives and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to describe matter, the various characteristics matter can exhibit, and the importance these have in applications.
Students will be able to
- describe what matter is,
- state different characteristics that can be used to describe matter,
- explain the melting and boiling points of a substance,
- describe, with examples, how the hardness of substances can differ,
- describe, with examples, how the thermal and electrical conductivity of substances can differ,
- know how the chemical reactivity of metals can vary using the reaction with oxygen as an example,
- provide examples that show how the application of a substance is related to its physical or chemical characteristics.
Students will not cover
- the different properties of metals and nonmetals,
- changes of state,
- chemical reactions.