Lesson Plan: Domain of Rational Functions Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to identify the domain of a rational function and the common domain of two or more rational functions.
Students will be able to
- identify the domain of a rational function in which the denominator is a linear, a quadratic, a cubic, or a higher-degree polynomial,
- find the common domain of two or more rational functions,
- find unknowns in a function given the domain.
Students should already be familiar with
- finding zeroes of polynomial functions,
- set notation,
- factoring quadratic and cubic functions.
Students will not cover
- writing a rational function as partial fractions,
- finding the range of rational functions,
- finding the domain of the sum, difference, multiplication, and division of two rational functions.