Lesson Plan: Writing Multiplication Equations Mathematics • 3rd Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to write multiplication sentences that match models and explain how repeated addition and multiplication expressions are related.
Students will be able to
- write multiplication and addition equations to represent equal groups,
- compare repeated addition and multiplication equations using the symbols , , or ,
- write addition or multiplication expressions equal to a given product.
Students should already be familiar with
- adding equal groups,
- counting in 2s (to 20), 3s (to 30), 5s (to 50), and 10s (to 100).
Students will not cover
- recalling times tables facts.