Lesson Plan: Subtracting Parts of a Whole Mathematics • 4th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use visual models to subtract two parts of a whole, where the corresponding fractions have the same denominator.
Students will be able to
- use concrete and pictorial representations to subtract a fraction from another fraction with the same denominator within one whole,
- recognize that only the numerator changes when fractions with the same denominator are subtracted (the number of equal parts in the whole stays the same),
- write and complete subtraction sentences,
- apply knowledge of subtracting parts of a whole when solving word problems.
Students should already be familiar with
- adding parts of a whole,
- fractional notation, including understanding the roles of the numerator and denominator,
- unit and nonunit fractions up to 1.
Students will not cover
- subtracting from fractions that are greater than 1,
- subtracting fractions with different denominators.