Lesson Plan: Whole Number Division with Decimal Quotients Mathematics • 6th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to divide whole numbers where there is a remainder and express the quotient as a decimal.
Students will be able to
- apply knowledge of fractions to convert mixed number quotients to equivalent decimal values,
- divide two whole numbers where there is a remainder and express the quotient as a decimal,
- express dividends as a number of tenths, hundredths, or thousandths in order to help with divisions,
- use long division to find decimal quotients.
Students should already be familiar with
- using long division to divide multi-digit numbers by single-digit divisors with whole number quotients,
- common fraction and decimal equivalents.
Students will not cover
- calculations where the decimal quotient has more than three decimal places,
- divisors that are not single-digit numbers,
- dividends that are not whole numbers.