Lesson Plan: Converting Metric Units of Length, Mass, and Capacity Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use convert between metric units of length, mass, and capacity with the prefixes “kilo,” “centi,” and “milli.”
Students will be able to
- recognize that kilo means 1,000, centi means , and milli means ,
- use an understanding of tenths, hundredths, and thousandths to convert between units,
- partition numbers to convert between different units,
- convert between mixed measures,
- record measurements using whole numbers, decimals, and fractions,
- compare measurements with different units.
Students should already be familiar with
- converting millimeters, centimeters, and meters,
- converting meters and kilometers.
Students will not cover
- understanding the prefixes deka and hecto,
- conversions involving more than one step,
- multiplying or dividing decimals.