Lesson Plan: Dividing Decimals: Whole Number Quotients Mathematics • 5th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use models to divide decimals by decimals when the result is a whole number.
Students will be able to
- divide decimals by decimals when the quotient is a whole number by using models to make equal groups,
- divide numbers expressed in tenths by tenths,
- divide numbers expressed in hundredths by hundredths.
Students should already be familiar with
- multiplication facts up to and related division facts,
- dividing decimal numbers by one-digit and two-digit whole numbers,
- using drawings and models to represent division problems.
Students will not cover
- dividing decimal numbers with more than two decimal places,
- quotients greater than 12.