Lesson Plan: Scalar Multiplication and Unit Vectors Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to multiply a vector by a scalar and how to find a unit vector in the direction of any given vector by dividing the vector by a scalar.
Students will be able to
- perform a scalar multiplication on a vector in 2D or 3D (graphically and numerically),
- find the unit vector associated with a position vector in 2D or 3D,
- find the unit vector associated with any general vector in 2D or 3D.
Students should already be familiar with
- finding the magnitude of a vector,
- vector addition and subtraction.
Students will not cover
- vectors in 4D or higher.