Lesson Plan: Normal Distribution Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use the normal distribution to calculate probabilities and find unknown variables and parameters.
Students will be able to
- understand the normal distribution and which conditions are needed to be able to apply it,
- understand and use the shape and symmetry of the normal distribution as well as key facts relating to the mean and standard deviation in order to calculate probabilities,
- calculate probabilities using the normal distribution given the mean and standard deviation of a data set,
- use normal distribution tables to find probabilities that correspond to a specific -scores,
- calculate values of random variables using the normal distribution, given probabilities and parameters of a data set,
- calculate the unknown mean and/or standard deviation of a data set given probabilities of random variables that are normally distributed.
Students should already be familiar with
- continuous random variables,
- mean and standard deviation ,
- basic probability rules,
- simultaneous equations.
Students will not cover
- real-life situations involving the normal distribution,
- proof of the normal distribution,
- hypothesis testing related to the normal distribution.