Lesson Plan: Simple Trigonometric Equations Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to find angle measures given interval and function values.
Students will be able to
- solve simple trigonometric equations by applying invoice operations, simple algebraic methods, or simple trigonometric identities,
- recognize and use the periodicity of trigonometric functions to identify all of the solutions to a trigonometric equation in a specified range or identify the general solution (this includes using the graphs of trigonometric functions to identify solutions),
- solve equations involving the reciprocal trigonometric functions (secant, cosecant, and cotangent).
Students should already be familiar with
- reciprocal trigonometric functions,
- graphs of trigonometric functions,
- Pythagorean and cofunction identities.
Students will not cover
- solving equations using factoring or squaring,
- double- or half-angle identities.