Lesson Plan: Subtracting by Breaking Apart Tens and Ones Mathematics • 2nd Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to subtract a two-digit number from a two-digit number without regrouping using decomposition by breaking apart tens and ones.
Students will be able to
- subtract by decomposing into tens and ones using place value charts and blocks,
- subtract by decomposing into tens and ones using part–whole models,
- solve two-digit subtraction shown in number sentences,
- solve subtraction word problems using two-digit numbers.
Students should already be familiar with
- breaking two-digit numbers into tens and ones,
- subtracting tens or ones on a hundred chart,
- decomposing numbers using part–whole models.
Students will not cover
- regrouping tens and ones,
- subtraction by crossing the tens barrier,
- subtracting numbers other than two-digit numbers,
- subtracting numbers with regrouping required,
- subtracting using number lines,
- column subtraction.