Lesson Plan: Column subtraction of Numbers up to 10,000: Regrouping Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use the column method to subtract numbers with up to four digits when we need to regroup.
Students will be able to
- model the subtraction of four-digit numbers from a four-digit number,
- use the column method to subtract four-digit numbers when regrouping once,
- use the column method to subtract four-digit numbers when regrouping more than once,
- subtract across zeros,
- identify errors in solutions and explain the mistake that was made.
Students should already be familiar with
- the column method of subtraction without regrouping.
Students will not cover
- the column method of subtraction with numbers over 10,000.