Lesson Plan: Triangle of Forces Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to solve problems about the equilibrium of a particle under the action of three forces meeting at a point using the resultant of forces or triangle of force method.
Students will be able to
- find a missing force in a system in equilibrium using the triangle of forces rule,
- understand the conditions for equilibrium under two forces,
- understand the conditions for equilibrium under three coplanar forces meeting at a point and apply this to examples.
Students should already be familiar with
- the Pythagorean theorem,
- forces given in terms of unit vectors, given in polar form, and represented graphically,
- the magnitude and direction of forces,
- adding and subtracting forces,
Students will not cover
- Lami’s rule,
- systems that are not in equilibrium.