Lesson Plan: Calculating pH Chemistry
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to calculate the pH of a solution and describe the ion-product constant of water.
Students will be able to
- recall the pH scale and identify the pH of acids, bases, and neutral solutions,
- recall that water can self-ionize to produce and ions,
- write and describe the equation for the ion-product constant of liquid water, Kw,
- define pH in quantitative terms as ,
- relate Kw to pH and pOH,
- calculate and/or from pH and/or pOH,
- calculate pH and/or pOH from and/or .
Students should already be familiar with
- the pH scale,
- acidity and basicity.
Students will not cover
- dissociation constants: Ka and Kb,
- solubility products.