Lesson Plan: Absolute Value Equations Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to solve equations involving the absolute value.
Students will be able to
- find the solution set of equations which involve the absolute value of an expression in one variable,
- find the solution set of equations which involve more than one absolute value expression (in the same variable),
- sketch graphs in order to solve absolute value equations.
Students should already be familiar with
- solving linear equations.
Students will not cover
- absolute value inequalities,
- the absolute value of expression in more than one variable,
- piecewise-defined functions.