Lesson Plan: Front-End Estimations: Up to 1,000,000,000 Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to round numbers up to 1,000,000,000 using the front-end estimation strategy.
Students will be able to
- use front-end estimation to estimate large numbers written in standard, expanded, or word form,
- write estimates for large numbers in word and standard form.
Students should already be familiar with
- using front-end estimation with three-digit numbers.
Students will not cover
- using front-end estimation to approximate numbers with more than 10 digits,
- estimating sums and differences.