Lesson Plan: The Chain Rule Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to find the derivatives of composite functions using the chain rule.
Students will be able to
- understand the formula for the chain rule,
- use the chain rule to find derivatives of composite functions,
- use the chain rule along with the power rule of differentiation,
- apply the chain rule to a composition of three or more functions.
Students should already be familiar with
- composite functions,
- the differentiation of polynomial, rational, and radical functions.
Students will not cover
- the product rule,
- the quotient rule.