Lesson Plan: Linear Equations with Variables on Both Sides Mathematics • 8th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to solve equations in which the variable is on each side of the equation.
Students will be able to
- solve linear equations with the variable on both sides but constants on only one side,
- solve linear equations with the variable and constants on both sides,
- solve linear equations with the variable and constants on both sides and the brackets on one side,
- solve linear equations with the variable, constants, and brackets on both sides,
- solve more complex problems, including writing and solving a linear equation for a word problem taken from a real-world context.
Students should already be familiar with
- one-step and two-step equations,
- distributing a constant over a set of brackets.
Students will not cover
- linear equations involving algebraic fractions,
- linear equations with fraction or decimal solutions.