Lesson Plan: Structure of the Genome Biology
This lesson plan includes the objectives and prerequisites of the lesson teaching students how to describe the composition of eukaryotic and prokaryotic genomes.
Students will be able to
- define the terms gene and genome,
- state what comprises the genome of a eukaryotic and a prokaryotic organism,
- explain the purpose of coding DNA in organisms,
- outline that eukaryotic genomes contain many repeating sequences of DNA,
- state that the majority of DNA in humans is noncoding and explain what this means.
Students should already be familiar with
- DNA as the genetic material.