Lesson Plan: Subtracting Ones from Two-Digit Numbers without Regrouping Mathematics • 1st Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to subtract a one-digit number from a two-digit number without regrouping.
Students will be able to
- count back to subtract a one-digit number from a two-digit number without crossing a ten,
- subtract one-digit numbers from two-digit numbers using place value blocks,
- subtract one-digit numbers from two-digit numbers, recording the calculation in a place value chart,
- use place value language to describe subtraction,
- solve word problems involving subtraction of one-digit numbers from two-digit numbers without regrouping.
Students should already be familiar with
- subtracting numbers within 10,
- modeling subtractions using objects, counters, or blocks.
Students will not cover
- subtracting a one-digit number from a two-digit number with regrouping,
- using the formal column method to subtract.