Lesson Plan: Properties of Carbon Dioxide Science
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to investigate the physical and chemical properties of gaseous carbon dioxide.
Students will be able to
- describe how to investigate the properties of carbon dioxide gas,
- identify and describe the properties of carbon dioxide gas,
- describe an experiment to test whether carbon dioxide supports burning,
- describe the reaction between lighted magnesium and carbon dioxide gas.
Students should already be familiar with
- states of matter,
- elements, atoms, and molecules,
- the role of oxygen in combustion,
- the preparation of carbon dioxide from calcium carbonate,
- the importance of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
Students will not cover
- chemical equations.