Lesson Plan: Representing Rational Functions Using Power Series Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use the formula of the infinite sum of geometric series to find a power series representation for some rational functions.
Students will be able to
- algebraically manipulate certain rational functions into a form that can be expressed as a power series, and vice versa,
- find the radius of convergence of the resulting series.
Students should already be familiar with
- the definition of a power series,
- the radius of convergence of a power series,
- polynomial division,
- partial fractions.
Students will not cover
- the differentiation and integration of power series.