Lesson Plan: Dividing Three-Digit Numbers by Two-Digit Numbers: Long Divison with Remainders Mathematics • 5th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use long division to divide three-digit numbers by two-digit numbers in calculations when there is a remainder.
Students will be able to
- divide three-digit numbers by two-digit numbers when there is a remainder,
- use the long division method,
- interpret remainders in problems where a three-digit number is divided by a two-digit number.
Students should already be familiar with
- dividing three-digit numbers by two-digit numbers using long division,
- solving division calculations where there are remainders,
- ways that a remainder affects the answer to a problem, depending on its context,
- extending known multiplication facts up to to related facts involving multiples of 10 and 100.
Students will not cover
- dividing numbers with more than 3 digits by numbers with 2 digits,
- divisions involving fractions or decimals.