Lesson Plan: Comparing Two-Digit Numbers: Models Mathematics • 1st Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to compare two-digit numbers shown in models with words and symbols.
Students will be able to
- compare two-digit numbers in visual models using words,
- compare two-digit numbers in visual models using symbols,
- determine whether or not it is possible to compare two-digit numbers in visual models using words or symbols.
Students should already be familiar with
- reading and writing two-digit numbers,
- the place values of two-digit numbers,
- using the symbols , , and .
Students will not cover
- comparing numbers without a model,
- comparing numbers using number lines,
- comparing numbers with more than or less than 2 digits,
- ordering numbers.